This recipe has been adapted from a recipe for Rosh Hashanah apple cupcakes created by Helen Goldrein and featured on her Family Friends Food Blog. She has some fantastic honey-based recipes on her blog so we recommend following her.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 18 mins
Makes 15 cupcakes
2 Pink Lady apples
2/3 cup Gustare Delicate Yellow Box Honey
2 cups plain flour
¾ tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
2 tbsp milk/non-dairy alternative
4 tsp Gustare Strong Apple Tree Honey
15 small basil leaves
Glico Mikado ultra-thin milk chocolate biscuit sticks
1. Prepare 15 cupcake cases. Make an inward fold on one side of each case before inserting into a cupcake tray. Roll up aluminium foil to the size of a marble and insert in the gap between the inward fold of the case and the tray. This will help hold a “apple” shape”.
2. Preheat oven to 180°C.
3. Peel the apples. Dice one apple (for the cake mix) and slice the other into fine slices to place on top of each cake.
4. Cream the butter with 2/3 cup Gustare Delicate Yellow Box Honey or another delicate or mild tasting raw honey.
5. Beat in the eggs.
6. Add the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and nutmeg, and mix together.
7. Stir in the milk/non-dairy alternative.
8. Add the diced apple and mix.
9. Pour the mixture into cupcake cases. Place two fine slices of apple on the top of each cake.
10. Bake the cakes at 180°C for 18 minutes. Remember that honey heats up quickly so check on the cakes regularly to ensure they do not burn.
11. While still warm, brush with Gustare Strong Apple Tree Honey.
12. When cool, insert the chocolate biscuit sticks and basil leaves to decorate as “apples.”