This Shrove Tuesday, try whipping up a delicious classic French dessert – crȇpes Suzette, using Gustare Honey’s raw eucalyptus honey in place of sugar for the sauce.
What you will need for the crȇpes (serves 4):
- 100g plain flour
- 25g golden caster sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 225ml milk
- 25g unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for frying.
What you will need for the sauce:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup of Gustare Honey
- Juice of 6 tangerines, zest of one, extra whole tangerine for garnish (optional)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp Hennessy cognac
How to prepare the crȇpes:
- Sift the flour, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the eggs, milk and 75ml cold water. Begin whisking, gradually incorporating the flour around the edges, then whisk in the butter to make a smooth batter.
- Warm an 18-20cm non-stick frying pan or crepe pan over a high heat. When really hot, reduce the heat to medium. Add a little butter for cooking, then add enough batter to coat the base of the pan, swirling it so that it is as thin as possible. Cook for about one minute on each side, until golden. Set aside and keep warm.
How to prepare the sauce:
- Remove the zest from one tangerine with a zester or vegetable peeler and slice into thin strips. Set aside. Squeeze the tangerines to give 200ml.
- Mix the grated zests, juice, honey, and cognac together in a bowl.
- Add a quarter of the sauce to a large frying pan. Heat gently for 1-2 minutes. Increase the heat and simmer vigorously until the liquid has slightly thickened and golden in colour. Whisk in the butter a cube at a time. Whisk in the remaining sauce and reserved zest and simmer for 2-3 minutes, until shiny and thick.
- Add one crȇpe to the pan and let it sit in the sauce for about 10 seconds before folding it into quarters. Push to the edge of the pan and repeat with the remaining crȇpes.
- Pour the hot cognac over and carefully light with a long match to flambé. When the flames disappear, serve immediately on warm plates.
Share your cooking skills with us on Instagram @gustarehoney